Posted By Posting
Jan 28, 2010
max'smommy
erythromycin
Well, Max's gastric emptying study did show that he is delayed in stomach emptying according to the nurse that called to schedule his follow up. I left 3 messages today regarding the results and no call back. So she said she'd talk with the dr. and call me back, of course no call back. She mentioned putting him on erythromycin. I know a lot of you have kiddos on this, so does it help? I am concerned about side affects and that it is an antibiotic, which he does not do well on. I thought antibiotics were terrible on reflux kiddos' tummies, why would they prescribe this for long term? Any ideas of how long he'd need to be on it? He's 7 mos. Thanks for any feedback!
Jan 28, 2010
molson1525
Mary & Nicholas 7-17-03 (non-refluxer)allergies, asthma on Singulair and Flovent & Aidan 1-28-07(my refluxer)Nissen Fundoplication on June 20, 2008, FTT, MSPI, DGE, ear tubes, allergies and severe GERD now currently taking just Prevacid and drinking Elecare Vanilla 1+.
My son also has Delayed gastric emptying although his is fairly mild as far as DGE goes from what I am told. We did Reglan for his DGE for 8 months and it was a wonder drug for us. It completely ended his apnea and aspiration. We would still be on it I am sure if it weren't for eventually having some nasty side effects. We used Erthromycin in conjuction with the Reglan and then on its own when we went off the Reglan. The way Erthromycin is used for DGE is different then how it would be used for an illness as an antibiotic. It is used in a much smaller dose. That being said it did nothing for my son and so we didn't keep him on it because it did cause serious GI upset. All antibiotics are hard on refluxers but sometimes the good outweighs the bad. A lot of people taking Erthromycin give their kids a probiotic to help with the GI upset. Hope that helps.
Jan 29, 2010
eesmom
Mason Matthew born at 28 weeks on 12/10/2007 with MSPI and severe reflux. Still on Neocate, strict MSPI diet, recently weaned off of Prevacid.
Evalise Adelle came along 4 weeks early on 12/2/2009 we thought we could be without this reflux stuff but no such luck. She's MSPI as well, off of breastmilk :-( and on Neocate for MSPI, has eczema (better with Neocate), and worse reflux than her brother did! Doing Buffer babies and Prevacid-
My DS was on erythromycin (EES) for DGE for the first 9 months of his life without any ill effects. I think it did help him and, as molson1525 said, it is used in significantly smaller doses for DGE than if it were to be used for an infection. We did not use probiotics. I refused to use Reglan given the potential for some serious, and in some cases, permanent side effects. Every child is different, but this worked well for us, HTH-
Jan 29, 2010
zack'smom
Zack born 09/28/07 @ 31 weeks. Dx silent reflux @ 6 mo. Now not so silent. Switched to Elecare @ 9 mo. On Prevacid 15mg 1x daily. Looking to stop the puke and gain some lbs.
Puke stopped about 24 months and he's learning to eat...very slowly.
Still on prevacid and periactin.
we were on Reglan for about 6 months and it worked WONDERS...we startedseeing side effects and had to stop. We started Erythro and unfortunately it had no effect on Zack. I was bummed as it's a much safer drug.
Jan 29, 2010
max'smommy
Well I just heard back from the nurse and she said he emptied at a 22% rate, and "she thinks" they like it to be 50%. Does that sound right? She was clueless about how long he'd have to be on it and everything else. Our follow up is in April, so at least until then. Also, how should I dose with Carafate? They are both 1/2 hour before a meal. Is it OK to give them together? Nurse says yes...but I am not trusting her opinion at this point.
Jan 30, 2010
jeddsmommy
Jessica, Mommy to Jedd, severe reflux, severe food and oral aversions, Finally G tube free!!! VSD repair 4-24-07 (open heart surgery), hypospadias, repaired 3 times and Ear tubes Visit Jedd at his CB site: www.caringbridge.org/visit/jedd
Personally, I would NOT dose the Carafate and the Motility med at the same time. Carafate coats and can interfere with the motilty med doing it's job. This is just a Mommy Doctor talking but I wouldn't do it and we didn't do it when Jedd was taking both.
Check with your
doctor first!