Posted By Posting
Sep 01, 2009
mommy2k
GI dilemma
Okay my dilemma is that a few months ago we had been fed up with our current gi, because his lack of being there and not doing any tests to help Kody, so we scheduled a second opinion. Now the current gi is scoping Kody the day before our new gi appt. I don't know what to do about the second opinion. The gi did a suction biopsy for us too. I think I just need an outside view at this. We've been frustrated with our gi but now that testing is being done I didn't want to cancel the appt we had with him last week because we got the suction biopsy done. I don't know what to do about this. We've been to this second opinion gi's office with our daughter but it's a different doctor. It's also a totally different children's hospital. Has anyone had a second opinion and gotten somewhere and didn't have to do the testing over again? Our next appt with gi after the scope isn't until December 15. Then we have the whole problem of finding out the results if we go to a new gi. So any thoughts to my dilemma? Has anyone been in a similar situation? We also waited almost 3 months for this new gi, too. It seems loke all pediatric gi's are so busy. We never get in earlier than 2 months it seems.
Sep 01, 2009
b-girl
Mom to Jasmine aka: Jazz 01/24/2007
Dx with silent reflux at 8 months
FPIES, DGE, MSPI. Recently diagnosed with EC (Eosin. colitis and now Primary immune deficiency disease.
Also mom to Nathan. born Jan.20th, 2009, MPI . so far dx with reflux and has an extremely sensitibe GI system. Also dx with primary immune deficiency disease.
I would keep the second opinion Doctor's visit. Tell this new Dr what has been done, but that a second opinion is needed. Your old GI may scope him, say nothing is wrong, or not help you guys etc... and then give up, so if you canceled this new GI you may have no back up. If you like the new one, tell them that all the results that you get from this scope you'll fax over to him, and let him take over completely. HTH
Sep 01, 2009
zack'smom
Zack born 09/28/07 @ 31 weeks. Dx silent reflux @ 6 mo. Now not so silent. Switched to Elecare @ 9 mo. On Prevacid 15mg 1x daily. Looking to stop the puke and gain some lbs.
Puke stopped about 24 months and he's learning to eat...very slowly.
Still on prevacid and periactin.
We did...the PH probe and gastric emptying scan were both a result of going to a second doc. The first doc wasn't annoyed at all...we got some good test results (well, not goood per say...you know what I mean) and we opted to go the route of the original more conservative doctor...now our difference was that we really LIKED our first doc...we just waned to make sure he wasn't too conservative in his treatement of our son
Sep 01, 2009
emibug
Kathryn, Pager Volunteer and mommy to Emily Mia 02/04/07. 3 years old with GERD. 30mg Prevacid and Pepcid AC. Mylanta needed for flares. Failed prilosec med switch. Tried and failed many med weans but GERD and pain are well controlled. Functional constipation. Reoccurring SBBO. Suspected IBD or autoimmune disease. Resolved issues: MSPI, CSID (acquired), Stage 2 kidney reflux, Chronic diarrhea.
Audrey Meadow 06/20/08. born 34/35 weeks. Still b/f and eats everything! ftt and chronic constipation.
i too would keep the appointment. you can get the results of any tests for your first GI and bring them to the second GI. a different opinion is always nice if you think his current treatment is unsuccessful. good luck!
Sep 01, 2009
mommy2k
Thanks for the input. I'm going to have to decide quickly. My dh and I are in disagreement. He thinks I need to just cancel it because we're getting the scope done the day before and he doesn't want to start all over again.

We've also always gone to the gi appts together and he wouldn't be able to go with me to the new gi appt since he's taking the day off for the scope. I'm sure I can handle it, it just would be very weird to be there without him. He always backs me up except for this last visit where he wasn't much help, lol. My gut is telling me to go to the new gi appt though and anytime I don't listen to my gut I end up kicking myself later for it. At least I can see if this new gi would be more or less aggressive then our current one. I need someone to think outside the box. It's amazing that we have 2 childrens hospitals in my city and the one we're at isn't helping us very well and the other one didn't help our daughter very well either. Conservative Indiana docs I guess. Just looking for some relief for Kody and for us to get a little more rest and less stress in our home.

Sep 02, 2009
mommato3
Praying for you tomorrow and tonight after midnight!!! I would keep your second opinion. You don't even have to tell your first GI about the second opinion really. These docs are use to it. They wont have to redo any testing. They will want to take a look at any tests that have been done previously and then go from there. In fact, on all of Holden's tests if the tests came back normal they didn't even care to see the copies of those results just wanted to know he had them done. A fresh set of eyes never hurt anything. Getting second opinions for Holden was the best thing we've ever done. If you don't like this new guys plan of action then don't change over. Just take the info that you need with you to your appointment. You should be able to call your GI office and tell them that you want copies of all the tests that they have already done and that you will pick them up tomorrow. Take that and you will know immediately about the visual part of the scope to report that ( any abnormalites or inflammation that can be seen with the eye) and just tell him you will fax over the copy of the biopsies when you get them. Good luck! Just remeber there is no pressure to have to change a second opinion can be just what it is- a second opinion. You can also tell the second GI that they cared for your daughter and you wanted them to take a look at everything with Kody and get their opinion on what their next step with him will be. I am like you with going with my mommy gut or I too usually kick myself!
Sep 02, 2009
mommy2k
Thanks Tracy! That all makes perfect sense. I've decided to go ahead with the appt from taking everyone's input.

I will certainly be too curious if maybe this new doc would know or do something different for Kody. Or at least listen to me that it's his reflux bothering him and needs new meds or higher dose. Thanks everyone!

Check with your
doctor first!