Posted By Posting
Jul 31, 2009
Daughter Payton, Born 4/2/09, Diagnosed with Silent Reflux at 3 Weeks. Tried zantac, prevacid, axid, multiple formula changes. Presumed MSPI. On Elecare and Carafate.
MSPI and Immunization Shots
Hello, I was wondering if anyone had any good or bad experiences with their child having MSPI and getting immunization. Payton's 4 month shots are scheduled for Monday & her ped thinks there is no reason not to delay. I think that is a pretty bold statement considering I don't think he knows much about MSPI, never heard of Elecare (the formula prescribed by the ped GI) or carafate use for infants. In addition, she was hospitalized last weekend for 3 days with a respiratory infection, is still on atibiotics, and breathing treatments! I tried to reschedule the appointment to later in the week just to get a chance to circle back with the ped GI, but was informed that their immunization appointments are "so booked" that if I missed it that we'd have to wait until September sometime. I feel like I'm being railroaded, but this is a small town with not too many alternatives or I'd ditch the primary ped right now. My gut is telling me to hold off on the shots and start working on finding a new primary care ped. Appreciate any thoughts.
Aug 01, 2009
Too be honest with you most pedis push to get their shots and not delay unless their is a big reason but there are some pedis who are willing to work with you and split the shots up, etc and will not vaccinate if they are ill. My son is on Elecare and is said to be MSPI and is 8 months old. We have gotten all his shots. Flu shots (we didn't get) and MMR which they don't get till one year old do have egg in them. Holden did fine with his shots although I did notice a reflux flare. I bet other moms will tell you that too. I guess so much stress on their body. All that said though Holden was never sick at his shot times. I would think you would definitely be justified in holding off. If you decide to hold off I would prob. go ahead and book the Sept. appointment with your pedi just in case you can't find another primary to settle on and they may be booked up. Ultimately this is a decision you will have to make and be comfortable with either way. Good luck. I'm sorry she had such a rough time with the respiratory infection.
Aug 01, 2009
This is our dd, Alessandra. Dx with GER 10/07. Ran the gamut with meds and now done with them (crossed fingers). Using magnesium, probiotics and prebiotic supplements. With the exception of teething and general sassy attitude, all is well now. They really CAN grow out of it!
There is an alternate schedule for immunizations for those with high risk of side effects or compromised immune systems, etc. Even though we didn't have any of those issues, with all the reflux realted stuff, our ped recommended we do the slower schedule (less shots at once, but more visits.) I think NIH or CDC has the chart recommendations. And if you have to wait until Sept, so be it. It's only a few more weeks. And immunization appts are acually also well baby checks, so they should be able to see you on your kid's age schedule.
Aug 01, 2009
I would for sure hold off on the vaccines if she is sick/on antibiotics. In my dr's office, they even have a sign that says to think twice about immunizing if they are sick or on antibiotics. There is a delayed schedule if that is something you may be considering. Some dr's push a lot and say that you have to do the EXACT schedule that they recommend, but there are other options. And actually, if you wait to give shots til they are older, they need fewer. Sorry, I don't want to sound preachy...In my profession, I've just seen/heard way too many horror stories....Cody just turned one and has only had 3 shots to date. (Yes, we are vaccinating, just making up our own schedule...we started them late, and he only gets 1 at a time, and wait a couple/few months in between them). Here's a link to an alternative schedule. I would go with your gut, better safe than sorry! Good luck!! And so sorry to hear that she hasn't been feeling well. Hope she's doing better now!
Aug 02, 2009
Both major hospitalizations for Johnnie were within 5 days of having his shots. The Ped swore it was coincidence, but I didnt care. I refused to get his next set until after we had all immune tests run and could rule out allergies in the shots. I got a lot of grief at first, but we are now catching up. I didnt realize that MMR had eggs in it- so that is something I will have to deal with when we go in for our next set of shots. Good Luck and don't let anyone push you into doing anything your not comfortable with.
Aug 03, 2009
adelines mom
I would definately find a new doctor! Don't let them make you feel bad! This is about YOUR child. I have spaced all of Adeline's shots out. My ped is wonderful and is very willing to work with MY schedule. We have run about two months behind on everything. I schedule a shot a week when they are due. I know it is a lot of trips to his office, but I only do one at a time and if she is not feeling well or has a bad day, i reschedule. I did the flu shot the end of last December and I found a pharmacy that had the mercury free one. Good luck to you.
Aug 06, 2009
Ginger Bennett
Mom to Stanton, 6/12/2008
dx with GERD at 7 weeks. dx with EE at 21 months
Past Life - Early Intervention Specialist and Eval Team Member
I love the Dr. Sears book "The Vaccine Book". It isn't anti-vaccine, rather, it states how each vaccine is made - who the maker is, what's in the shot, what's the risk, etc. Gives you a complete, easy to read education in vaccines. He lists the pediatric schedule and an alternative one too. We are doing vaccines - however - I go each month and just get one shot each time. My little guy is 13 months old and we are delaying the MMR and Chickenpox vaccines until after age of 3. I worked as a therapist for 12 years and saw too much.....lots of side effects with the MMR. My little one had 3 surgeries this summer so we are now behind on my alternative schedule. Haven't had a shot since April! My ped. has been great to work with.
Aug 14, 2009
I took Johnnie in for his 1 yr check and I was worried sick over the MMR because he is so allergic to eggs, dairy etc etc.. So his ped pulled out her book to check, the book said that mmr does not contain egg, but that some children who are allergic to egg could have a reaction. I decided that we could try it as long as we premedicated with benedryl an hour prior and then had the epipen available just in case. He did fine, a few hives appeared within a few minutes and a rash around the injection site but it cleared quickly. The only reason I decided to do it was because the ped took the time to research and took the precautions necessary to help him if he did have a reaction to it. If you arent comfortable with the ped, look for a new one. His ped desperately wants him to have the flu shot, but knows that there is a high risk of reaction so she is going to do the skin test with the live vaccine first to see if he will tolerate it. I think all the doctors are really worried for our kids over the swine flu.
Check with your
doctor first!