Posted By Posting
Jun 08, 2009
Another bottle strike - going crazy!
My 7 month old daughter is on yet another bottle strike. This has been going on for the past 4 months ever since she started taking the bottle when I gave up breast feeding. I took her off Prevacid last week b/c we thought her feeding aversion was behavioral and now it is even worse. I've been waiting for the GI doctor to call me back since Thursday. Why does it take them so long? Don't they realize that children and parents are miserable? I want to talk to him before I put her back on the Prevacid to see if he wants to do the impedence test now that she's off of meds or wait until she's back on. I am so kicking myself b/c now we're going to have to wait 2 weeks for the meds to get back in her system. I did all of that to try to avoid the impedence test. Stupid of me. She had a total of 6 oz yesterday and that was after trying to feed her every 3 hours. She is at daycare today, has had no bottle at all. I really feel like the pediatrician and the GI doctors could care less. I am so frustrated at repeated failed attempts to feed my daughter. I'm crying at work and on pins an needles all the time. Soooo frustrated!!!!
Jun 08, 2009
Jessica, Mommy to Jedd, severe reflux, severe food and oral aversions, Finally G tube free!!! VSD repair 4-24-07 (open heart surgery), hypospadias, repaired 3 times and Ear tubes Visit Jedd at his CB site:
Don't kick yourself, it will be OK.

Can you use mylanta while you wait for the meds to kick back in??

I'd go ahead and schedule that Impendance test. You can always cancel it if things get WAY better before it comes.

Even if the aversion IS behavioral many kids still need meds to keep the GERD under control. Jedd does.

After taking that little in make sure you keep an eye out for dehydration....that's really a small amount to be taking in during that time span.

If you think the ped and GI are not working with you, find new ones....we fired our GI and it was the best thing we ever did to help out our son.

Jun 08, 2009
I'm going to pick up some Mylanta today. I asked the nurse to schedule the impedance test and she said it could take up to 2 months. Hopefully they can fit something in sooner.
Jun 08, 2009
Zack born 09/28/07 @ 31 weeks. Dx silent reflux @ 6 mo. Now not so silent. Switched to Elecare @ 9 mo. On Prevacid 15mg 1x daily. Looking to stop the puke and gain some lbs.
Puke stopped about 24 months and he's learning to eat...very slowly.
Still on prevacid and periactin.
seven months is a little young (I think), but can you do ice cubes or fruit like watermelon in the mesh feeder...or maybe a little juice in a sippy...anything to keep her hydrated...I deal with this every day at 20 months, so I totally feel your pain...Z has a behavioral/ medical aversion combo. I would schedule the impedance, too...better now than coming off it again later!
Jun 09, 2009
jan gambino burns
Jan Gambino, M.Ed
The Reflux Mom
P.O. Box 171
Arnold, Maryland
21012 USA
Mom to Rebecca: reflux and asthma, post nissen fundo, post g tube, post FTT and Jenna: reflux, asthma and POTS.
Author of Reflux 101: A Parent's Guide to Gastroesophageal Reflux.
See the Peds first
Hello! Of course you are frustrated. A feeding strike is a huge worry and a flag that something is not right. It is important for the doctor to see this feeding strike. Would it be possible to schedule a sick visit with the pediatrician or go to an urgent care? Let them see what happens when you try to feed her. Let the doctor or the nurse try to feed her. Show the doctor the information you wrote down on how much she took and when. Make sure an illness or a new tooth isn't causing such a significant disinterest in feeding. Then have a plan of action for dealing with the feeding strike before you leave the office. Jan Gambino The Reflux Mom
Jun 09, 2009
Thank you for everyone's responses. I started her back on the Prevacid last night. Just talked to the pediatrician which is very aware of Anna's eating issues...that have been going on for 7 months. Half of the practice has tried to feed her. I've called to schedule the impedence and they said it could be 2 months. Ugh!
Check with your
doctor first!