Posted By Posting
Mar 30, 2009
wpigirl
Advice on weaning from Prevacid
I've been a reader of this forum for months and have gotten lots of good insight from y'all. Now it's finally time to post! My 8 1/2 month old daughter has been on a full solutab of Prevacid for about 7 months now -- 1/2 in morning and 1/2 in evening. It has worked really, really well for her. She was mostly a silent refluxer and would have inconsolable crying fits but never really spit up. She had the coughing/wheezing and bad breath symptoms. But the Prevacid took care of all that. About 6 weeks ago, I decided to try weaning to see what would happen. I cut her dose in half and she tolerated it. After about 4 weeks of that, I cut back to 1/4 of a solutab a day. Again no problems. 2 weeks ago I cut off completely. She had been totally fine...sleeping great, eating well, generally happy...except for the fact that she is spitting up a TON after nursing or a bottle of breast milk. She isn't upset by the spit up and continues whatever she was doing. I know that Prevacid works by inhibiting the production of acid and doesn't do anything to stop the actual spit up. But it seems awfully coincidental. Dr suggested putting her back on the Prevacid, but I'm not so sure. If she was uncomfortable, I feel like she would be unhappy and crying?? I'm okay with her being on the medicine if she needs it, but not just for the sake of being on it. Any thoughts or advice?
Mar 31, 2009
slimfast13
This is our dd, Alessandra. Dx with GER 10/07. Ran the gamut with meds and now done with them (crossed fingers). Using magnesium, probiotics and prebiotic supplements. With the exception of teething and general sassy attitude, all is well now. They really CAN grow out of it!
I waited until the vomiting was totally done with for a few months before trying to wean. It took us 3 tries to successfully wean, and Allie's been off for 2 months. But, you're the mom. I'd say if she starts to be uncomfortable, you have the meds. But if she's okay, maybe she had a shorter ride!!! I'd maybe wait until she's upright and walking all the time first though.
Check with your
doctor first!