Posted By Posting
Aug 26, 2008
ethan's mom
Meridith, mom to Ethan born 4/23/08. Ethan was diagnosed with reflux at about 1 month. He has been on Zantac (unsuccessful) and Prevacid. He is currently taking 7.5 mg of Prevacid 2x per day, with good results. We also suspect MPI, though this hasn't been confirmed by a doctor yet.
Ethan is mostly breastfed, though we are doing one bottle of soy formula each day. We also do some homeade "solids' including, so far pears, avocado, sweet potato, and peaches.
I almost hate to post this, since it is such a hot topic right now, but with our four month check-up coming up, my dh and I are somewhat at odds on which vaccines to give Ethan. I really don't want to start up a vaccine debate on here, but since this is such a supportive place, I thought I'd see if anyone else had struggled with this, and what decisions you made.
My biggest concern is not having this dominate another appointment, as I have questions I need to get answered while we are there.
We agree that there seem to be a lot of vaccinations out, especially for such little kids, but we disagree on which vaccines are important to give now, versus waiting until Ethan is a little bigger. Our pediatrician suggested an alternative schedule, which is what I want to go with, but he wants to give the vaccines for the diseases that are the scariest, with the highest incidence.
I know we all have plenty to worry about without questioning the CDC, but if you have any advice or experience that is relevant, can you please share?
Aug 26, 2008
Tracey, mom to Katie. Diagnosed with reflux at 3 weeks and put on Zantac. At 8 months old she was removed from Zantac as it was giving her migraines, currently on Prevacid. Switched to Elecare since she is not gaining weight; trialing solids after being off for a month. Geneticist said reason she isn't gaining weight is she is stubborn. Upcoming appts.: Neurologist for developmental delay and EGD scheduled for September. She is one funny baby!

We got all of the shots but Hep B since it is a bodily fluids passed disease. We won't be getting the Chicken Pox vac. at her 1 year and will not do the MMR at the same time as the other vaccines since she has eczema. I have read that since it is an autoimmune disorder that sometimes the MMR in conjunction with all of the other shots can cause a reaction. We will be getting that shot but at least a couple of weeks in between.

The reason we won't do chicken pox vac. is I have read 1 in 4 have a reaction and they don't think it gives lifelong protection. With those odds I would rather she gets chicken pox. JMO.

Aug 26, 2008
Lorenzo b.4/25/07 1 week in NICU w/ aspirate pneumonia from a reflux episode; diagnosed GERD at 9weeks; Used Zantac for 5months. Currently using Chinese Medicine and Craniosacral Therapy. GERD, Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Sensory Processing Disorder. Ask me about breastfeeding a refluxer! Pic: day 5 in the NICU.
I was terribly conflicted about vaccines. Our NICU experience left me with virtually no confidence as a parent, so the first few rounds, I just went with the program and suffered through the fear and stress of wondering if I was doing the right thing. Eventually, I decided to speak up and express my concerns, and eventually insist on a schedule that prevents Lorenzo from receiving more than one vaccine at a visit, even if it means more shots in the long run, and more co-pays for visits. I also decided to decline things like flu shots for him.

There is some really good, although often contradictory, information out there about vaccines, so I would encourage you to read, read, read and become as educated as you can on the subject. Find out what, if any metals are present in the vaccines your child is given (different states have different regulations about this, and different clinics offer different vaccines) and educate yourself about the potential side effects.

That said, I have to admit that I simply cannot find the time to research as much as I'd like to, and I often find myself in a state of frustration over the fact that we are basically required and/or encouraged to put things into our children's bodies the safety of which we know very little about. What I finally came to realize is that The Truth is not out there -- we are never going to have all of the information needed to truly determine if vaccines are safe or not, and how best to administer them. As a result, we just have to educate ourselves as best we can, follow our own instincts, and hope that the choices we make are the best ones for our particular child.

Aug 26, 2008
I am Jacky, mommy to Joslyn Olivia (April 2008) and Katelyn Isabel (November 2009).
Joslyn was dx'ed with Silent Reflux with breath apnea at 5 days old. VERY SCARY!
Katelyn is a spitter reflux baby. Started at 3 days old as well. (Both were/are breast fed.. symptoms came on when my milk came in).
Joslyn has been reflux free since she was 12 months (suffered poor weight gain for a few months) and Katelyn is now on Zantac... waiting to see if it works.
We divide her shots up. She gets half her shots at a time. Tomorrow she will get half of her 4 month shots and next month she will get the rest. Yes... we do have to go to the doc every month doing it this way... but that is a good thing. We always put joslyn on her apnea monitor the day she gets her shots..... It is very scary! We never feel safe with her getting shots... but the alternative like scoliosis is not what we want. So we divide them up. But to us it is a choice people have ot make on their own. we do not judge..... we have enough to worry about! Hope that helps.. (oh and we go tomorrow... I was wrong before! GOOD LUCK)
Aug 26, 2008
ethan's mom
Meridith, mom to Ethan born 4/23/08. Ethan was diagnosed with reflux at about 1 month. He has been on Zantac (unsuccessful) and Prevacid. He is currently taking 7.5 mg of Prevacid 2x per day, with good results. We also suspect MPI, though this hasn't been confirmed by a doctor yet.
Ethan is mostly breastfed, though we are doing one bottle of soy formula each day. We also do some homeade "solids' including, so far pears, avocado, sweet potato, and peaches.
Good luck to you at the dr tomorrow.
Thanks for the opinions, thus far.
Aug 26, 2008
amber f
My feelings on this subject is that there is more harm in not vaccinating then vaccinating. I would feel terrible if my child would die from measles or even chic pox because I didn't vaccinate. The chic pox vaccination doesn't prevent you from getting chic pox it just helps with the symptoms so it isn't as servere. My concern is that kids are dying from it. They are also recommending that you have a booster. This is what my doc. has told me anyway. I turned down the latest hep. shot (I think it was C) because it wasn't necessary to have for school. And it was a stomach thing that sounded like a 24 hour stomach bug. I think it is perfectly fine to schedule them differently so your child doesn't have to have a bunch at once. This is JMHO! Take what you want from it and discard the rest!
Aug 26, 2008
Jessica, Mommy to Jedd, severe reflux, severe food and oral aversions, Finally G tube free!!! VSD repair 4-24-07 (open heart surgery), hypospadias, repaired 3 times and Ear tubes Visit Jedd at his CB site:
Jedd only gets 2-3 shots at a time. And they are on a spread out schedule. So he is always behind a little.

I wouldnot worry aobu taking time with the pedi. to talk about shots. They should schedule MORE than enoguh time to cover everything you want to talk about. They should even double book you if necessary.

I have spent up to an hour with our pedi.....if they are worth it they will do it.

Aug 26, 2008
Mary & Nicholas 7-17-03 (non-refluxer)allergies, asthma on Singulair and Flovent & Aidan 1-28-07(my refluxer)Nissen Fundoplication on June 20, 2008, FTT, MSPI, DGE, ear tubes, allergies and severe GERD now currently taking just Prevacid and drinking Elecare Vanilla 1+.
We did a delayed schedule too just because the shots made his reflux flare so horribly. We also spaced out MMR and Chicken pox vaccines as they are both live and since we have allergy issues just wanted to make sure we knew which one it was if he had a reaction. I also did skip the Rotovirus vaccine since both my children and I have had Rotovirus and although it wasn't pretty we certainly weren't in any danger of dying from that. Looking back since we had some serious FTT I probably should have done it but I still don't regret the decision. It is a tough decision but really if you read the research they really for the most part do way more good then harm. Do whatever makes you feel good as parents and don't feel swayed by doctors or anyone else.
Aug 26, 2008
Coyle Eagan. One Year Old. Doing well on Cow's Milk flavored with juice :) Drinking two bottles of Go&Grow daily. Eating solids better but still have rough days. No More Silent Reflux-that I can hear anyway.. but puking again. Zantac 2ML 2X daily.
this is an excerpt from baby 411. this the information i use to base my decision on.

Bottom Line: the decision to vaccinate your child impacts the health of other children in the community. For vaccination to work 1. you need to be vaccinate 2. your neighbor needs to be vaccinated.

vaccines save lives. since vaccinations deathy by smallpox, diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis (whooping cough), polio, MMR, rubella, HIB, HEP B & A, and chickenpox have decreased by 99%. that means that almost noone dies from these diseases anymore.. because we vaccinate. in counties where "no vaccination" is the "in" thing to do whoping cough is 2X as likely. and, babies still die from this disease.

Reasons not to Vaccinate: 1. immune-compromised 2. Had the disease 3. Encephalitis or degenerative brain disorder 4. Allergy to vaccine or an additive (RARE, and usually deals with EGG or Antibiotics)

if you want, you can do what others have mentioned. for some vaccinations there is a recommended time frame {HepB, DTaP, HIB, etc.). you can break these up. yes, you'll have to go to the doctor more often though. and in my opnion, it is better to just get it over with so your son doesn't have to be poked every month.

the best advice i ever received and have given to other moms is tylenol 1 hour prior to the appointment. This last time he cried for less than 1 minute.. and i'm sure it was more the scariness of the needle than pain. he had no reactions, no fever, no tiredness ( i kept the tylenol coming) and was absolutely fine the next day.
Aug 27, 2008
Sharon, Mom to Elyse, 17 mos (15 mos adjusted-preemie). Zantac/Elecare. History of: Respiratory Distress Syndrome with ventilation/CPAP/cannula, tpn, n/g tube, PDA, jaundice, apnea, bradycardia/tachycardia, severe anemia, blood transfusion, reflux, Sandifer's Syndrome, intestinal malrotation, hemangiomas, MSPI, feeding issues. ICU inpatient 53 days! 2 surgeries, 2 UGIs, barium enema, pH probe, endoscopy. Developmentally on target now! PIC: Yobaby Beard
Having a preemie, I was terrified either way...get them and risk the side effects in a preemie with respiratory issues/etc, or risk her getting the diseases?....we decided to do most of them, but on a delayed schedule. She gets 2 shots per appt, and i only let them give her the shots based on adjusted age (i.e. she will get 12 mo shots when she is 14 mos or older). As someone else stated, MMR and chicken pox are live, so we are waiting on those. The MMR you can actually get them to split up but it is very expensive and they have to order it special I think. We skipped rotavirus bc it is a new vaccine and the old had problems and was taken off the market. We were advised by one of her drs to skip it bc the old version caused intestinal problems (which she already had/has plenty of) and the new one is too new to know long term effects.
Aug 27, 2008
It's so odd. I was a member and my screen name totally disappeared and I had to register again. It let me use my old screen name. Anyway, I am back. Sigh. We are just now looking at this issue. Yes, we have a 3 year old, but he's now showing serious ASD symptoms after a severe regression in speech around the same time he had his shots. He also has SPD and other issues tied to ASD. We have an appointment on the 5th with a pediatric neurologist to help with a possible PDD/ASD DX. We also have an appointment for both boys with a Neurodevelopmental Pediatrician to see what's going on with them since both have SPD. DS #2 has has SPD issues from literally day one of life.
Check with your
doctor first!