Posted By Posting
Aug 09, 2008
Cooper was born 12/19/07. Birth weight: 7lbs10oz. Weight as of 2/11: 8lbs9oz. 6/23: 14lbs12oz! Struggling again 12mo: 18lbs. Breast Fed exclusively, on strict elimination diet until Dec 08. MSPI as well as other food intolerances Diagnosed w/ GER at 5 days following barium swallow. Choking with apnea spells. Ftt. dx w/ Laryngomalacia following brochoscopy 1/29. Aspiration. apnea monitor until 5mo. pH probe 1/29 showed severe reflux. Sandifers Syndrome. lbrady and tackycardia. echo and EKG 2/18: Came back normal! Swallow study 2/29: some NG reflux. Unexplained seizure 4/1. Negative CF sweat test 4/4! EGD 11/19: reflux damage in esophagus. pH probe 11/19, reflux improved. Safe foods: pears, apples, peas, rice, small amounts of chicken, potatoes, and carrots.
Currently drinking Elecare vanilla 30cal/oz and breastmilk.
Meds: Nexium 10mg 2x daily. Carafate as needed, miralaxx as needed, probiotics daily
Should he be scoped?
Do you guys think Cooper should be scoped? I haven't even discussed it w/ the dr yet, but it has been on my mind. His pulmo has treated the reflux, not a GI, so it hasn't came up. He had the bronch at 5w and it showed reflux, I guess he was inflamed? They did not do biopsies though and didn't go down in the tummy. I feel like with the major reflux he had, they should probably check for damage at around a year. We go to the pulmo in sept and he will be 9mo. Do you think I should ask about this. Should we get a GI consult even though he's doing well now? Also, I know he's MSPI (self dx after doing the elimination diet, never had a dr tell us, but had diarrhea every day of his life until I did the diet) and has some other sensitivities. What do you guys think?
Aug 09, 2008
I am going to have kaite scoped. Even though she is feeling better now I just want to know what is going on in there. THen I can check it off my list and be relieved that I have more info. From what I understand there is a ton of info that can be obtained from the scope.
Aug 09, 2008
mom to 4 kids with probable
Mitochondrial Disease
Dealing with Fundo, J tube feedings,Severe Dysmotility,Aspiration,Asthma,
Connective Tissue Disorder,
Visceral Hyperalgesia, and more
Many meds
If he continues to have reflux issues after a year and doesnt seem to be "growing out of it" then yes, I would have him scoped. It can provide valuable information, and also provide some relief for mommy if things look good.:)
Aug 09, 2008
Tracey, mom to Katie diagnosed with GERD at 3 week.
Katie will be scoped and I am glad b/c I did want it since I know that Zantac didn't do a darn thing to stop the acid. We just discovered this as she doesn't cry all day anymore on Prevacid. If he had severe reflux I would want to know if any damage is done and to see if EE's are present.
Aug 09, 2008
acony bell
Jesse, Mommy to:
Joseph William, 2/19/2007.
Diagnosed *finally* with GERD at 11 months. Stopped pevacid at 2.5 years old.
Lilybelle, 3/11/2009.
Another kid with REFLUX! Upper GI on Monday. PH Probe and Modified GI in a few weeks. Currently takes 7.5mg Prevacid once daily.
It certainly doesn't hurt to talk to the doctor about it. Good luck!
Aug 09, 2008
Coyle Eagan. One Year Old. Doing well on Cow's Milk flavored with juice :) Drinking two bottles of Go&Grow daily. Eating solids better but still have rough days. No More Silent Reflux-that I can hear anyway.. but puking again. Zantac 2ML 2X daily.
we are watiing to make that decision @ one year if he continues to have severe reflux. seeing as that is in 1 mo. coy will probably have to be scoped. me, i'll probaby have to be on valium. i'd say discuss it with both the pulmo & the gastro and see what they have to say. 95% of kids with food issues resolve @ one year. the other 5%... could be until age 3-6. so, i'd keep plugging along with your own food intros and see what happens when you start to add more foods into his diet as well.
Check with your
doctor first!